Wednesday, September 28, 2016

こんにちは!

Here is a list of my goals for Japanese learning:

1. I want to speak with more fluidity and stutter less while speaking. Often, even when I know what I'm trying to say, I have a hard time getting the sentence out because the sounds are very foreign to me. I think I just need to be more comfortable with the sounds generally so that they become part of my muscle memory. The more I speak, the less I will stutter. My plan is to read a Haiku aloud everyday. Hopefully, by practicing speaking new words, my Japanese will sound smoother overall.
http://jti.lib.virginia.edu/japanese/shiki/beichman/BeiShik.utf8.html
http://www.carlsensei.com/classical/index.php/author/view/1

2. I want to work on the rhythm and pitch of my speech. My sense of pitch has never been very good so I found the exercises that involve identifying pitch patterns to be particularly difficult. I feel myself getting a bit better at matching the rhythm of Japanese speakers (though of course I speak much more slowly), but I'm still having a lot of problems hearing the intonation contour of words. In order to improve, besides doing the listening exercises I'm going to listen to a podcast or the news in Japanese at least once a week.
http://newsinslowjapanese.com/
https://www.youtube.com/user/NewsInSlowJapanese

3. I want to work on remembering and formulating sentences more quickly aloud. Even when I know how to articulate something/have the grammar and vocabulary to articulate something, I often flail when I'm actually in conversation and have to conjure it up immediately. Under pressure, I forget a lot of the Japanese that I should be confident saying. I hope to go to the Japanese table at least once every three weeks. This will help my conversation skills and improve my ability to think on the spot.

I think all of these goals will also be achieved my attending office hours as much as possible and listen to music in Japanese (I particularly like Shintara Sakamoto!)

Thanks for reading!

6 comments:

  1. こんいちはざべるさん!

    Thank you so much for sharing those links with your goal statements! I found the carlsensei one to be very interesting. I went through some of the Haikus, they sound beautiful. It would be amazing to understand them without having to look at the translation. Also, do you have any recommended Shintara Sakamoto songs? I'd love to check it out!

    This semester is going to be challenging for all of us, I wish you the best of luck with your goals!

    じゃね!
    しじむ

    ReplyDelete
  2. アンナさん、おはようございます。

    I really like the databases you have shared. They are really beautiful Japanese poetry (though right now I still need English translation to catch the meaning). I hope one day our Japanese is qualified enough to appreciate these haiku.

    じゃ、また。
    夏麗麗

    ReplyDelete
  3. こんばんはアンナさん!

    The links you included in your post are great! The Haikus are beautiful, and the news in slow Japanese will be extremely helpful - both for studying the language and for a better understanding of Japanese culture. Thank you for sharing them with us!

    Good Luck with your goals!

    じゃ、また。
    アマリア

    ReplyDelete
  4. こんばんはアンナさん!

    The links you included in your post are great! The Haikus are beautiful, and the news in slow Japanese will be extremely helpful - both for studying the language and for a better understanding of Japanese culture. Thank you for sharing them with us!

    Good Luck with your goals!

    じゃ、また。
    アマリア

    ReplyDelete
  5. こんばんは, ざべるさん.
    It is great to know that you are interested in Haruki. I love him too and I believe he may win novel prize some day. The links you posted are very helpful. You must be quite good at Internet search. I myself is also interested in Japanese literature, in my case, writings of Abe Kobo. His works are somewhat gloomy, but I recommend you trying his works too.

    じゃ、また。

    ブ (BU)

    ReplyDelete
  6. こんばんは, ざべるさん.
    It is great to know that you are interested in Haruki. I love him too and I believe he may win novel prize some day. The links you posted are very helpful. You must be quite good at Internet search. I myself is also interested in Japanese literature, in my case, writings of Abe Kobo. His works are somewhat gloomy, but I recommend you trying his works too.

    じゃ、また。

    ブ (BU)

    ReplyDelete